2019 Hutchinson County United Way’s
Heat Up Hutchinson Kick Off Cook Off Rules
DO NOT HAMMER ANY STAKES, POLES, OR ANYTHING INTO THE ASPHALT!!!
PERSONAL VEHICLES WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE COOK AREA ON FRIDAY HOWEVER THEY MUST BE OUT OF THE COOK AREA SATURDAY MORNING BY 9 A.M.
COOK TEAM MUSIC IS ALLOWED HOWEVER QUIET TIME BEGINS AT 12 A.M. ON SATURDAY…PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PLAYING MUSIC WHILE SPONSORED BAND IS PLAYING
1. COOKED ON SITE – All meats will be cooked on-site. The preparation and completion (excluding pre-trimming) of any and all meats in competition is within the confines of the cook-off site. Competition meat may be subject to inspection at the cook-off by a Heat Up Hutchinson - Hutchinson County United Way (HCUW) Kick Off Cook Off Representative.
2. SANITATION – Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary manner as is possible. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by a Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Representative. Infractions identified by a Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Representative shall be immediately corrected or the Cook Team will be subject to disqualification.
3. ENTRIES PER PIT – Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Committee recognizes that only one entry (one Head Cook) will cook on a given pit. Notwithstanding, multiple entries in the same category by the same Head Cook or from the same pit, or multiple entries from the same piece of meat will not be allowed. Pit should be of a permanent design that contains separate individual cooking chambers and heat sources. (no sharing of heat sources) Contestants must be 18 years of age to participate for cash prizes.
4. BBQ PITS –
Pit – Any commercial or homemade, trailered or un-trailered, pit, or smoker normally used for competitive barbeque. A BBQ Pit may include gas or electricity for starting the combustion of wood or wood products but NOT to complete cooking. A BBQ Pit should be of a permanent design that contains separate individual cooking chambers and heat sources. (no sharing of heat sources)
Back Yard Cooker (Backyard Cooker) – any cooking device by design or nature that is inherently portable and by design is intended for recreational cooking.
Due to the event being open to the public, all cautionary measures MUST be taken to promote safety around all BBQ Pits at all times.
5. OPEN FIRES – In the interest of safety, the Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Committee will NOT allow the use of open fire or ground pits before, during, or after the event.
6. CATEGORIES – The Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off has advised the contestants in advance of the applicable meat categories and/or cuts of meats and/or types of cookers.
The following categories are recognized by the Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Committee:
Pork Spare Ribs – NOT Baby Backs
Pork – Butt and/or Shoulder
Open – Any cooked entry other than those listed above. Chicken and Shellfish in any form are not permissible.
This is a SMOKING competition so some portion of your entry MUST be smoked!!
7. DOUBLE NUMBER SYSTEM – A secret, double number system will be used. This system assures a fair competition and is a fundamental tenet of the Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off event. Two tickets bearing the same number will be utilized, one firmly attached to the top of the judging tray in a manner which hides the number and the other ticket easily removed by the Head Cook for retention after signing the Head Cook’s name in front of an Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off representative.
Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray will be removed and announced. After the ticket is pulled, the tray and its contents will immediately be discarded.
8. JUDGING TRAYS – The Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off will use a Styrofoam tray with hinged lid and without dividers or the best readily available judging container, which is approximately 9 inches square on the bottom half. A single sheet of aluminum foil will be supplied for each tray. All judging containers must be clean and free of any markings. Marked containers may be disqualified at the Head Judge’s discretion. Head Cooks are responsible for insuring that the containers they receive remain clean and undamaged.
9. JUDGING TRAY CONTENTS – The Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Way Kick Off Cook Off Committee representative and/or Head Judge shall advise all cooks of the exact quantities and cuts of meat that should be placed in the judging trays. This will normally be accomplished at the Cook’s meeting. The Head Judge or Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off Committee representative will inspect all trays at the time of turn-in in order to assure compliance with the turn-in criteria. All garnishes and condiments are prohibited, as they do not reflect the true quality of the cooked meat. Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray.
NO PUDDLING OF SAUCES AND/OR LIQUIDS IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.
Heat Up Hutchinson County United Way Kick Off Cook Off amounts are as follows:
Brisket: Eight (8) full slices, approximately 1/4″ to 3/8”thick and all blocking must be done before cooking. The fat cap may be trimmed or cut away before the slices are placed into the tray. Brisket must be placed in the tray laying parallel to the hinge (left to right).
Pork Spare Ribs: Eight (8) individual cut ribs, bone in and St. Louis Cut is acceptable Ribs must be placed in the tray TOP side up laying parallel to the hinge (left to right).
10. TURN-IN TIMES – Once the Official time is set and/or announced at the Head Cooks meeting no change will be made. A turn-in window of five (5) minutes before and after the set turn-in time will be recognized. Judging trays received after that time will not be accepted for judging. Five minutes and one second is considered after the set turn-in time.
11. TERMS FOR DISQUALIFICATION – After the tray has been turned in, any tray found to be in violation of the Heat Up Hutchinson HCUW Kick Off Cook Off rules will be disqualified at the discretion of the Head Judge.
12. JUDGES –Must be 18 years of age or older to judge. Judges will assign a score from 1 to 10 for each tray.
13. ANNOUNCING WINNERS – Winners in each category will be announced during the Awards Ceremony.
14. CATEGORY PAY OUTS:
1st Place: $750.00
2nd Place: $500.00
3rd Place: $250.00
4th Place: $100.00
5th Place: $50.00
SEPTEMBER 14, 2019
Turn In Tables Will Be Set Up on West Side of the Borger Bank Building
7:00 P.M…September 13….………………………………………………Cooks Meeting
NOON……………………………………………………………….……...Pork Spare Ribs
1:00 P.M……………………………………………………………………Pork Butt/Shoulder
4:15 P.M..(Could be earlier and if so, an announcement will be made)..Awards Ceremony